Thursday, May 13, 2010

On the road again.

We were on the road yesterday for a very long time. The average trip when I'm driving is about ten hours, Google suggests that it takes about that long as well. Some times though we take short naps, and get something to eat, so you never really know how long of a trip its going to be. I say when I'm driving because I drive the speed limit and I know that most people drive a bit faster than that. But as we drove we went through three states of the USA and ended up in Colby, Kansas.
I can remember when I was a kid what I thought of Kansas. I remember that it was my home but I also remember things about it that I didn't like. Its flat and there aren't really very many large cities there. I know there is a time in every one who grows up in Kansas' life when they just want to get out of the state and go some where the wold has touched. Of course I think that is true of most people and most places where they live. Though how any one could ever want to leave Ireland would be a bafflement to me. Now as an adult though I like going back and I like knowing the things I know that only living in Kansas would have taught me. I like that I can go back to the state I was born in and know that when ever other people go there they wonder how we can deal with the smell. I like knowing what a combine is and that there is more than one definition for elevator. I like that the state I am from is unique and that it has excellent sunrises and sunsets (lack of trees). Kansas is the only state that a Kryptonian has landed on and grown up in; the only state where you can get over the rainbow.




























So hello Kansas, armpit of the world.

Kerry

2 comments:

  1. pretty picture...where'd you steal that one from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The internet.... I just searched Kansas.

    ReplyDelete